With unemployment comes crafts. Mostly big crafts, like quilts that I already have the bits for, or cross stitch, which is cheap. Most of the time I find cross stitch mind numbingly boring. I think it really depends on the pattern, and maybe stitch density.
I also like to throw a new craft in the rotation, or at least do something I haven't done in a long time. By those powers combined, today we have....dyed Aida cloth! I purchased some Procion fiber reactive dyes, since I read online that they are one of the best cotton dyes for color fastness, brightness, etc. I wanted to test some squares to try my hand at the process, but I didn't want to waste dye, so what came about is what you see above. The tea towels were pretty gross and splotchy, so I thought I'd spruce them up.
For a gallon and a half of water, I used approximately 1.5 teaspoons powdered dye. For fixative, I used 5 tbsp soda ash dissolved in hot water. Colors are raspberry, soft orange, turquoise and grape.